Easy Four Cheese Mac & Cheese

Monday, May 7, 2012

Macaroni and cheese: The Holy Grail of comfort food. There's something so incredibly satisfying about the combination of melted cheese and pasta. There are some months where I crave it on a weekly basis. And normally, any old mac and cheese will do. But yesterday I was feeling ambitious and decided to make my own version of this delicious dish.

What You'll Need:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk 4 cups extra sharp white cheddar, shredded *You can use mild cheddar, whichever you prefer
1 cup mixture of Romano, Parmesan, & Asiago cheeses (try DiGiorno brand)
1 lb. cavatappi pasta, cooked & drained
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
salt & white ground pepper


Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until combined and cook for about one minute. Stir in milk, dry mustard powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken. It will coat the back of a wooden spoon when ready. Slowly add cheeses and cook until completely melted. Pour over pasta and serve immediately. *Optional: toast Panko breadcrumbs and sprinkle over top


I also like to serve a hearty meal like this with a nice green salad. My favorite is a baby spinach salad with avocados, red peppers, red onions and tomatoes topped with a nice blush wine vinaigrette. 


What's your favorite comfort food? Are you as addicted to macaroni and cheese as I am?

xoxo,
L

4 comments:

  1. good god, that is my fave comfort food, and you have made my stomach grow!!! yUMMM!!! xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, that looks fantastic! definitely one of my favorite meals. i'll have to try out your recipe :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I haven't eaten Crap In A Box in ages - and haven't made myself a Mac & Cheese since! This looks wonderful - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving some love!