Restaurant Review: Redbones BBQ Somerville

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's baffling to me that I've eaten at this restaurant easily 10 times and I am just now writing a review. If you like good, down-home, stick to your ribs (pun intended) barbecue, this is your place.


pictures from google images


I'll admit, I'm not a BBQ connoisseur and I wasn't born and bred in the south so I go strictly off of what tastes good to me and what makes me do a little happy dance in my chair. Anyone else do a dance when their tummies are content? No? Okay moving on.


It was at Redbones that I was first introduced to fried pickles. These come to your table piping hot and just begging to be gobbled up. Cue salivation. They're served with something reminiscent of a ranch dressing... but so much better.


I rarely step out of my comfort zone when it comes to my main dish because I'm not the biggest fan of pork and I don't particularly care for ribs. They must both be delicious though because my boyfriend and his mother refuse to order anything else. I personally have a love affair with their pulled BBQ chicken. Perfectly saucy and delicious. Call me boring but try it once and you'll understand.


The stars of the show, however, are the side dishes. Specifically the corn pudding. It's savory, cheesy, salty -- all rolled into one bite. I can't fully put into words how delicious it is, you'll just have to try it for yourselves. Luckily, the nice people at Redbones posted the recipe right to their website! I know what I'll be doing this weekend...


pictures from google images


Other notable side dishes were the mac and cheese (recipe here), the cornbread, the corn fritters served with real maple syrup, and the potato salad. These are not to be downplayed because I didn't go into detail about each and every one of them. I promise you will not be disappointed with anything you have there. And they serve lemonade and sweet tea in mason jars. How fun is that?


Sadly I've never tried any of the desserts at Redbones because I've always been too full. And for someone who is a dessert fanatic, that's saying something about their food. But they have choices such as pecan pie, key lime pie and a white trash sundae. Your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly a white trash sundae is.


The decor is that of a hole in the wall bar. The wall is sprinkled with colorful murals, t-shirts, old school photos, etc. It's totally understated but comfortable and exactly what a BBQ place should be. It's a very affordable lunch or dinner spot and prices range from $2-$9 for appetizers, around $10 for sandwich (served beans and potato salad!), and around $20 for entree combos. Service has always been fast and friendly any time I've gone.


Redbones is located at 55 Chester Street, Davis Square, in Somerville, MA. They have a full catering service as well as a food truck that visits downtown Boston during the spring/summer months.


Photo from The Phoenix

I recommend this restaurant to anybody who likes to enjoy great food in a relaxed atmosphere without spending a ton of dough.

xoxo,
L

7 comments:

  1. Totally agree! I went there couple of times w/ my bf. While he enjoys steaks and ribs, I stare at the decor and enjoy my vegie burger. absolutely love this place.

    -T

    ps: follow me at legallytibetan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing! Being from Texas, there is nothing I love more than a good BBQ joint!

    xx
    Lynsey
    www.law-of-fashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here!
    restaurant jakarta

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving some love!