Restaurant Review: Max Brenner's

Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's kind of embarrassing to admit that I went to this place twice in one week. In my defense, the first stop was for dinner with my boyfriend and the second was brunch with a girlfriend from college several days later. Actually screw defending it. If it's good and you enjoy it, why not go 7 times in one week, right? You only live once. (If only our skinny jeans agreed with that mantra.)


This place is like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for adults. It was founded in 1996 by Israeli business partners Max Fichtman and Oded Brenner. The restaurant features an array of chocolate-based dishes but also some other really delicious bevies, appetizers, and entrees, sans chocolate. 


Meal #1:
The chocolate espresso martini I ordered was divine. The perfect combination of rich chocolate flavor and the little kick of espresso and vodka made me "MMM!" and "Ohhh my gawd" several times. Oh, and it was served with two biscotti dusted with powdered sugar. And I ate them both.


J doesn't have as much of a sweet tooth as I do so he ordered the "Sliced and Diced Pillow Steak Panini" and it was equally uhhh-mazing. The red pepper aioli made it. They served it with perfectly crispy waffle fries dusted with chili and cocoa powder. So yum.


The star of the show was dessert, obviously. We went all out and ordered the chocolate and banana egg rolls which were served with chocolate fondue AND salted caramel sauce for dipping. I am on a HUGE salted caramel kick and this was probably one of the most indulgent things I have ever eaten. Good thing it was my cheat day.






Meal #2:
My friend Erica was the one who told me about this place so it was only fitting that we would go together. She told me the brunch was out of this world so clearly, I had to see for myself.


The brunch menu offers selections such as a plain bagel pressed with a chocolate bar and your choice of peanut butter or hazelnut cream, and their signature brunch offering of eggs, spicy homefries and a melted chocolate lick. What in the world is a melted chocolate lick, you ask? Why it's a shot of melted chocolate, because that's what EVERY breakfast meal needs. I like where Max & Oded's heads are at. 


I opted for the "After Party Belgian Waffle" which was served with strawberries, your choice of milk, dark or white chocolate, STRAWBERRY HONEY, and basically an entire can of whipped cream. The waffles were a little too dense for me but I still put a pretty good dent in them. Luckily I had two cheat days this week.


Oh and Erica said I absolutely NEEDED to try the White Corn Croquettes. So I did. And she was right, I needed all four of them.




So long story even longer, if you're looking for a place to go for a salad and maybe some chocolate FroYo, this is not the place to go. But if you're totally okay with enjoying life and restarting your diet on Monday, this is your gem. Enjoy!


xoxo,
L

⋅No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and leaving some love!